Wednesday 6 May 2020

Musings about Toastmasters...

I had been feeling accomplished that my elder son had appeared for his first board exams successfully. All of fifteen, he wanted to improve his speaking skills and while looking around for options, he stumbled upon Toastmasters. On further enquiry, he was invited as a guest to the nearby club meeting and he came back duly impressed. After a few, he was asked to come with a parent and, completely unaware of how this would change my life, I accompanied him.
I clearly remember the special celebratory meeting I attended at John Deere. About 150 odd people were enthusiastically attending and speaking exceptionally well and my heart swelled with pride that one day my son would be such a speaker too!!

I couldn't have been farther from the truth. The then VP PR, TM Aniket, convinced me to join for my son's sake as he was underage ( remember, 15 years only) and if a parent was a Toastmaster, he could come as a guest. Gavel club was unheard of at that time.... All my motherly emotions overflowed and for the love of my son, I decided to go ahead and took the next step of enrolling myself. This was almost exactly 6 years ago and till date, I am not even sure that he attended 6 meetings after I joined!!
Thus began my accidental journey to be a Toastmaster in good standing in a club in good standing ALWAYS .....
From the eyes of a new member, all the other members appeared talented and well versed with the rules and regulations. The excom went out of their way to make me comfortable,the experienced members offered guidance and support for the speeches and roles. Slowly, I found myself adapting to the culture and before I knew, I was addicted long time.
Encouraged to be a part of club executive committee from the very beginning, I took upon playing my roles well and have been appreciated for my efforts throughout.
#ImpactComesFromActions
Somehow, those who worked with me always had more faith in my abilities and could recognize my potential even before I could. They suggested that I opt for leadership roles in the district.
District 98 was created and the first annual conference was announced. I opted for Souvenir chair and became a part of the organizing committee. Approvals, budgets, designs, magazine, gifts, awards, trophies.... Regular calls and meetings, visits, coordinating with vendors, and timely procurement of all these appears to be a nightmare now but in the able leadership of DTM Leo Paulose, who was the Conference Convenor, it seemed like a cake walk. After the event which broke all previous records of popularity and success within a limited budget, for the first time I felt proud to be a part of the organizing committee and received accolades for my contribution. Perhaps that was a nice year as I was recognized as the ARISE ambassador for my support to the Toastmasters community.
All this under by belt, I opted for being an Area Director and to my surprise, I was given the opportunity to serve as one in the term of 2017-2018.
Once again, I was rubbing shoulders with the leadership of the district and they made the term seem smooth when my Area became President's distinguished and my efforts were recognised by recognizing me as the Champion Area Director.
The term ended well, but I did not seem inspired to continue with my leadership journey due to personal reasons.
For one year I focused on my club and it's new members and my experience at the district leadership helped me connect with new members and understand their concerns better.
Once again I was ready to help outside my club and took upon the responsibility of a club coach for a nearby club.
I continue to help new members across clubs, mentor new clubs and provide a trustworthy environment where people can connect for their personal growth in Toastmasters journey.
I feel confident to step up my efforts and take upon the responsibility of Division director now and spread my support to even more members and clubs.
District 98 has witnessed unprecedented growth and within five years, it's ready to be realigned again. I envision a division which would be strong and supportive, abiding by the RISE values of Toastmasters, and giving each member an unforgettable experience in their journey of Toastmasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment